Sunday, 21 July 2013

Summer food: Baked smoked salmon & red pesto



When I'm at my student house during the school year, I always have to cook for 1 person ... Me. That sometimes makes it very hard to prepare a decent dish. I really like to eat fish instead of meat, and salmon is my absolute favourite (cooked, baked, smoked, ... as long as it's salmon). But fresh fish can be very expensive and unfortunately my poor student budget can't handle that. So that is not an option or only for special occasions.

So my alternative, in order to be able to eat fish, is smoked salmon. It is less expensive, you can also bake it like fresh salmon, it doesn't need seasoning (it is salty enough by smoking) and it has a special but great taste.
As I really like Italian food, I always like to add red pesto.


What you need:



Step 1:
Cook the pasta al dente.
Meanwhile, cut the smoked salmon into pieces, not too big, not too small (if that makes sense).



Cut the sweet peppers and the tomatoes into, rather large, cubes.



Step 2:
Bake the smoked salmon in a pan for about 5 minutes (it really doesn't need much time!). The salmon will get a kind of bleached salmon pink colour as you see on the second picture.

Smoked salmon before baking.
Smoked salmon after baking.


Step 3:
When the pasta is cooked through, remove the cooking water and immediately add the red pesto in order to prevent the pasta from sticking to each other. Stir well together.







Step 4:
Add the baked smoked salmon to the pasta.



Step 5:
Bake the sweet peppers in the same pan as in which you baked the smoked salmon.



Step 6:
Then add the baked sweet peppers and the - still raw - tomatoes to the pasta. The tomatoes just need to be warm, you don't want to bake them because they will totally fall apart and make this dish too watery.




Wait a minute until the tomatoes are heated ... aaaand then you are ready to eat!




This dish is super easy and quick to make and you can either eat it hot or cold. It only took me 30 minutes to prepare this delicious pasta because you can almost do everything while you're pasta is cooking. Enjoy!



Love,
Sofie

2 comments:

  1. This looks completely delicious!! So glad I randomly came across your blog as I'm going to be trying this for dinner one night this week!

    Jodie Marie | à la Jode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Jodie! It's a very simple but very delicious recipe. Please let me know if you tried it! x

      Delete

Thank you for your lovely comment!