Thursday, 26 September 2013

A trip to the wonderful world of vegetables

This week I started my probably final year of uni. 'Probably' because I said that last year aswell, and here I am, still at uni, doing a second Master in Horticulture, oh well. I really want to learn more about vegetables and fruit cultivation, so it seemed the best option to just do this extra year now, instead of doing it in 10 years or having regret for not doing it at all.

Anyway, yesterday was our first school trip. We visited a company that refines seeds and it was a very interesting day. I don't plan on rambling about everything I saw and learned, but I just wanted to share some pictures with you.

As a real fruit and vegetable addict, I'm a little embarrassed to say that from most vegetables I only know what they look like when they are at the greengrocer. Of some vegetables, I just have no idea how they grow on the plant. For that reason I made a picture of each vegetable I encountered, as still growing on the plant.

Probably not something you've all been waiting for to see here in the blogosphere, but I thought it might be quite interesting (okay, or maybe just a little? No?). You can't stop me though ...

Cauliflower

Green Romanesco cauliflower

Broccoli

Celery

Celeriac

Purple turnip cabbage

Curly lettuce

Radicchio Rosso

Parsley

Leek


Radishes

Red beet (beetroot)

White cabbage (giant footballs!)

Red cabbage

Savoy cabbage

Pointed cabbage

Brussels sprouts (how cute are these!)

Spinach
 
Fennel

Carrots

Sweet peppers


This were all vegetables I could spot, the edible ones anyway. They even had fountains in the form of a cabbage and carrots. Quite extraordinary if you ask me.



In the afternoon we got a free lunch and for dessert we got this icecream with red cabbage and apple flavour. It tasted quite special (and looked purple), but it was actually very good!



Love,
Sofie

7 comments:

  1. YUM, you've just made vegetables so much more appealing to me.. Lovely pictures :)

    http://right-up-my-street.blogspot.com

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos - vegetables have such interesting colors and shapes :o). Xx

    http://makeupbycandlelight.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophie, that ice cream sounds interesting! I love those fountains as well :)

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting subject to study. The pics are great- that must have been fun to go to the farm. I'm really curious about the ice cream- I love unique flavor combos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These photos are gorgeous!!!! I was so blown away the first time I saw brussell sprouts on the stalk. SO COOL!

    -Becca
    Ladyface Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pics!
    Ice cream looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That brussel sporuts plant is funny. :D It reminds me of the first time I saw a pineapple plant, completely unexpected!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!