Tuesday, 10 September 2013

DIY Back to school: Pencil case



Last weekend I made myself a new pencil case. I got tired of my old one which I am using now since primary school! That's a loooong time!

Tucked away in the back of my closet, I found this cute green polka dot fabric of which I once (I think 7 years ago) made a top. My grandfather was a tailor and he gave me his box full of buttons and zippers when I started to experiment with my sewing machine. So I had the fabric, I had the zipper and I had the enthousiasm to make something ... Perfect!

I will try to show you how I made my pencil case. Some steps aren't that easy to explain but I'll do my best. I promise :)


What you need:



You don't necessarily need a self cuttable zipper ribbon. I just used it so I would be able to determine how long I wanted it to be. Instead of a textile marker, you can also simply use a pencil.


Step 1:
Draw a rectangle depending on how big you want your pencil case to be.


This is what you will need to cut out of your fabric.


Step 2:
Cut the piece of fabric for the zipper in half.



Step 3:
To prevent fraying of the fabric, I always do a "VVVVVVV" stitch around the edges. I did this for all edges on every piece of fabric that I used.



Step 4:
Take your zipper ribbon (cut it to the desired length) and pin it to the piece of fabric that's intended for the zipper. Sew it.



Step 5:
Fold the edges of the base piece.
Pin the sides to the base piece, right in the middle. Don't sew them, just leave them pinned like this.



Step 6:
Also pin the zipper part to the base piece and sew it.
Do the same on the other side. Your pencil case will now only be open at the sides.
Always sew on the wrong side of the fabric so the fabric seam won't be visible when you turn the good side of the fabric out.



Step 7:
Almost finished now!
The last step involves the closing of the sides. This step is quite tricky and I have no idea how to explain the way I did it. I hope my pictures will do the explanation.





Step 8:
When you did all the sewing, turn your pencil case inside out (or is it outside in?), just because it looks quite weird if you left it like this :)



And tadaa, your pencil case is finished!
I just added some buttons to cheer him up ...




Do you like my hand made pencil case? Let me know what you think in the comments below.


Love,
Sofie


27 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Oh, that's very sweet, Lucy! Thank you very much.

      Delete
  2. This is so cute! Thanks for commenting on my blog - I wrote you back, in case you've missed it. And it made me find yours, which I'm glad about - you're too sweet and your DIYs are super impressive :)

    thecuriousklutz.blogspot.dk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Renate. I've read your incredibly long answer! Thank you so much for taking the time to get back to me.
      Thank you so much! x

      Delete
  3. Nice! I've tagged you in the Liebster Awards, it's 10 questions to answer and it's a way for the blogging community to connect :-)

    http://daisychainprincess.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/liebster-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. investing in a sewing machine would be a good thing for me to do ! This way you can make whatever pencil case you want. It's super cute ! good job :)

    missmajestic2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It would be a very good investment, if you ask me :)

      Delete
  5. This is so cute! My sister is still looking for a pencil case and I'm definately showing her this DYI :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww I love your DIY posts! Did you take textiles/design at school? You're so creative and great and making things, I wish I was :)! The pencil case is so cute and unique, I love it :)

    http://laurenslittleblogs.blogspot.co.uk/
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lauren!
      I didn't take any textile lessons at school, but my aunt taught me the basics. And when I was little, I was always watching my grandfather when he was making something(he was a tailor).
      Thank you very very much! x

      Delete
  7. Thats so clever!! You made your own pencil case.. you really must have been bored. Thats so cool i really admire people who can DIY things.
    Look forward to seeing future DIY posts :)

    Now following.

    http://right-up-my-street.blogspot.com

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rebecca! I really love your blog! x

      Delete
  8. This is so amazing and creative. Loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so cute! i wish i were talented at sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great idea, making a pencil case the way you want it! Love the polka dot design! :) xx

    adaliascloset.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. is really nice :)

    http://sbr-fashion-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!!! You are so awesome and so creative. What a cute pencil case. Love the green and the small dots. Its so chic and adorable. Maybe i will try something like this. Not a pencil case though. Something bigger. Thank you for sharing.
    Following your blog now via GFC and Bloglovin, hope you will follow us back.
    Regards
    Patchoulii-Flog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much! I would love to see what you've made! x

      Delete
  13. Oh, super cute! I love the polka dots. I never thing to make cute little sewing projects like this one. I gotta start doing them more.

    -Becca
    Ladyface Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becca! I can't wait to see your creations on your blog! x

      Delete
  14. This is so good and looks 100% professional! Great post :D Rachel x

    www.pillarbox-post.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!