Tuesday, 5 November 2013

Balancing my diet: Questioning meat & Praising power foods

I've never been a big meat eater. It has nothing to do with ethical reasons, I just don't like the taste of meat that much. Also, when I've eaten a piece of meat, I often feel like I've swallowed a brick (ugh!) and my stomach feels blocked. When I was younger, I always preferred cheese instead of meat toppings and when I go to a restaurant, I'll always choose something vegetarian or something with fish (salmon is my favourite). It's always been like that and therefore everyone knows me as being a 'special' eater, oh well ...



Last weeks - I think I can even say last months - I've rather unconsciously been starting to eat less meat, just because I've had enough of it. I just can't seem to convince myself to buy meat in the supermarket. And since I'm in a student house during the week, I have to do my own groceries and so it is me who determines what's on my plate.

But I must admit that last weeks, I've only just removed my piece of meat, and besides that there were no other changes in my menu. This means that I didn't always replace my meat worthy by using other protein sources. And as a dietician, I should know better! Ehem, shame on me ...

Anyway, now that winter is approaching slowly, we all need our strength to get us through those cold days. We need quality food for energy. So I think it is high time to start balancing my diet!



Regarding proteins, they are the most important nutrients to keep our bodies strong. We need them to create new body tissues and strengthening our immune system. The quality of the proteins that we eat are extremely important as well. Proteins with high content of essential amino acids have a high biological value and so are high quality. Overall, animal protein have a higher biological value than vegetable proteins. An exception to this rule is soy protein, which also has a high biological value like meat.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
So what's the plan?

Replacing my meat worthy by making use of other high-quality protein sources.
*
Eating more fruit and vegetables, just because I like them very much and because there's absolutely no reason to eat them only once a day.
*
Building more nuts, seeds, dried fruits, oats and other of those delicious power foods into my diet. They are the love of my life, so why not let them notice?!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~



You know, I'm definitely not in favor of temporary crash diets. If I change enrich my diet, it is intended that I hold this. I believe that a healthy body results from a healthy lifestyle - which you aren't able to reach in 2 weeks. The intention is not to lose weight, but to live a healthier life based on quality foods.

I've made a new page called "Good food" on this blog so that you - if you wish - can easily follow my findings, thoughts and dishes concerning my new lifestyle. As long as I can remember, I've always tried to eat as healthy as possible. But now I think I'm on a different - higher - level, let's say that I'm starting a new chapter in my life and I am so ready for it!

What do you think? Is there anyone else dealing with a meat avoidance behaviour like me?

This has been on my mind for quite a long time, and I feel that writing about it, relieves me. Thank you very much for reading this!


Love,
Sofie

5 comments:

  1. I too am avoiding meat! It started about 18 months ago when I saw a transport truck full of pigs. It made me wonder where they were from, what they they had been eating, where they were going and just how long it was going to take before they ended up wrapped tightly in plastic cling film. I decided to start eating organic meat at first but slowly just cut it out completely. Its been a year now that I've been calling myself a vegetarian (and aside from the random bites out of my boyfriends burger, I stick to it).
    Meat makes me feel groggy and heavy and just all around gross. Most days, I find it easy enough to make a veggie substitute when cooking at home but I struggle with fitting the protein in as well. I try to add eggs, fish and tofu but sometimes I just cant find the time and so my diet suffers.
    I check blogs and nutrition websites but am honestly so overwhelmed by the "whats good" & "whats bad" lists that I just give up and eat what I think is best. I make sure to have frozen homemade veggie burgers and baked granola on hand when I have those moments of panic. I just recently found that wheat berries have lots of protein and can be added to salads! add it to the list...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Kelly, for such an amazing comment! It makes me feel that I'm not the only one going through this. It really means a lot! I'll try my best to replace my meat as healthy and worthy as possible. Soon you can read all about it on my blog.
      I had never heard of wheat berries before, so I did a little research and found out that they definitely can be seen as a "power food" but I'm not sure if they could function as a decent meat substitute since they are grains and so a source of carbohydrates. But they do are high in dietary fiber, vitamins and minerals and so very good to enrich your meals and salads. x

      Delete
  2. This is such a good idea! I'm starting to slip into some bad eating habits as work is getting more stressful, but hopefully I'll be able to snap out of it soon. This post is certainly inspiring me!

    -Becca
    Ladyface Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a fantastic plan xx I love nuts and seeds too and I found this post really inspiring x
    Much love
    bohobun.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sofie, I'm intrigued to see how you get on. I have considered going vegetarian but I worry about not getting enough protein and iron, so I'd love to see how you incorporate other protein sources into your meals.

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!