Friday, 15 November 2013

Couscous, paprika & feta salad



So I've been experimenting with some meat substitutes, and last week I made this delicious couscous salad with feta.

If you don't eat meat, for any reason whatsoever, it's very important that you incorporate an alternative protein source into your menu. The advantage of animal proteins (meat, eggs, milk) is that they contain all the essential amino acids together. There's only one plant product that shares this same property, and that is the soybean. Essential amino acids can not be synthesized by our body and therefore they must be supplied in our diet. Other vegetal protein sources like beans, grains, nuts and seeds, don't contain all the essential amino acids. So to consider them as full protein sources, they should be combined with each other.

In this meal I combined feta cheese with nuts and seeds and a cereal product.



~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Ingredients:

Couscous
Paprika (I used 1/4 of a yellow, orange, green and red paprika)
Feta cheese
Raisins
Pumpkin seeds
Sunflower seeds
Turmeric
Vegetable broth
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Put the couscous in a bowl with some vegetable broth, turmeric and raisins and add boiling water. Leave to soak for about 5 minutes until the couscous is finished. Cut the paprika and feta cheese into cubes. Mix the paprika, feta and seeds with the couscous and ready is Freddy!



Super simple, super quick and very delicious! I loved the sweetness of the soaked raisins and the crunchiness of the seeds in this salad. Looking at these pictures makes me want to eat it again!

What do you think? Do you like couscous?


Love,
Sofie

9 comments:

  1. Great recipe - I love couscous and since I couldn't think of something for dinner, this might just be on the table :o). Xx

    http://makeupbycandlelight.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh yummy,love paprika :) Following back now (#46) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks gorgeous: I think I'm going to make it for lunch next week!

    Sophie @ www.zensiesta.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love couscous, this looks so good! sometime all you want to eat is a yummy healthy salad! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so delicious!
    I have to try this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my this looks absolutely marvellous! I can feel a couscous craving coming my way!

    Hayfa
    http://www.londonloafers.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so colourful and nutritious. I'm not too keen on cous cous but I love the spin you've put on it, especially with the feta cheese and raisins which I love x
    Much Love and Happy Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow this looks super yummy, definitely given me new lunchtime inspiration!
    Kim x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!