Tuesday, 19 November 2013

The Oatmeal series: Banana & goji berries



Experimenting with oatmeal is so much fun. You can really add anything! This time I went for a combination of banana and goji berries. Goji what?

The Goji berry is a Chinese berry and is used in a wide variety of traditional Chinese medicine preparations. They are rich in vitamins (vitamin C), minerals (selenium, germanium), amino acids and antioxidants (powerfood alarm!). Goji berries are known as natural anti aging wonders. They improve the immune system and have a supportive effect on body and mind. Sounds good, right?



~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Ingredients:

Oatmeal:
1/2 cup of oatmeal
1 cup of almond milk (in fact I used almond-rice milk)
Cinnamon

Topping:
1 Banana
1 tbsp of goji berries
Flax seeds
Shredded coconut
Almonds
Cashews
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Cut the banana into slices. Put the oats, together with the almond milk and a pinch of cinnamon in a pot and set it to medium high heat. Add the goji berries and 1/2 of the banana slices. Let boil for about 5-10 minutes, and stir occasionally. The smell of banana and cinnamon ... yummy! When you are pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl.

Oatmeal is ready ... time for the toppings! Add some flax seeds, nuts, shredded coconut and the other half of the banana slices. You can always add some extra goji berries on top.

Whoop, and that's it!

You can experiment with the amount of milk you add. If you like thicker oatmeal, use less milk and vice-versa.



Have you ever eaten goji berries? Would you ever want to try? (Please do! They really are delicious!)


Love,
Sofie

5 comments:

  1. I love having my porridge (this is the same as oatmeal, right?!) every morning! I top mine with cinnamon, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries and honey. I definitely recommend the cranberries- they are delicious and look very much like the goji berries! I love almonds and cashew nuts, I would never think of putting them on my breakfast! Rachel x

    www.pillarbox-post.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious!! I have oatmeal almost every morning with a banana, too!!
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sofie, my stomach rumbled very loudly *-* This looks incredibly yummy!
    Bookmarking this and adding flax seed and berries to my shopping list!

    Hayfa
    www.londonloafers.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love goji berries! They are a little pricey in my area but still delish

    atelier zozo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, I love goji berries. Whenever I see a fruit & nut mix that has them in I'm always very tempted!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!