Friday, 24 January 2014

Warm veggie winter salad ~ Roasted butternut squash



What a pathetic title for such a yummy dish! Oh well.

Last week, my grandmother joined us for dinner, and I had the previlege to cook! I really love cooking, and especially if it's for more people than just myself. Lately, and partly due to this blog, I've been experimenting more with ingredients too. That's actually the main reasons why I started this blog: being more creative and take more challenges.

If you've been following me for a while, you probably know that since November I started to eat less meat. I wrote a post on that which you can read here. For this recipe I used lentils instead of meat. Lentils are a great substitute for meat since they are rich in protein. Besides that, they also contain high amounts of fiber, iron and vitamins.



~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Ingredients:
(5 servings)

1 butternut squash (1.5 kg)
100 g dried lentils (you can also use 300 g cooked lentils)
100 g quinoa
100 g rucola/rocket
100 g soft goat's cheese
2 handfuls of raisins
Salt and pepper
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Step 1:
Dried lentils actually don't need pre-soaking, but if you do, it improves their digestibility. So I pre-soaked my lentils for about 1 hour because we all have quite a sensitive digestive system here (yay!).

Step 2:
Preheat the oven to 200°.
Peel your butternut squash (this job is not to be underestimated!), remove the seeds and cut him into chunks. Put some olive oil in a large ovenproof dish and add the pumpkin chunks. Drizzle some olive oil on top and give it a stir. Season with salt and pepper and roast for about 40-45 minutes in the oven.
Stir every now and then while roasting.

Step 3:
Add lentils and water to a saucepan (with a lid) and bring to a boil.

Step 4:
Boil the quinoa. When the quinoa is almost cooked, add the raisins so they can swell and become soft and juicy. Mmmm...

Step 5:
When your butternut squash is roasted and soft, take it out of the oven. Add the lentils, quinoa and raisins, the rucola/rocket and goat's cheese. Mix well and serve right away!



This winter I prepared (and ate) my first butternut squash ever. It is such a delicious vegetable! Seriously, why haven't I discovered it earlier!? And it looks quite pretty too, don't you think?
Oh, and my grandmother really liked this recipe. Score! :)

What do you think? Do you like butternut squash? 


Love, 
Sofie

9 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy, I love butternut squash and it's great to put in risottos as well :o) Xx

    Makeup by Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, this looks super delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! Love a bit of butternut squash :) it's sooo good for you as well. Can't wait to try this out!
    danielascribbles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg Sofie this looks amazing! These are some of my fave ingredients so I will definitely be making this at some point (when I can be bothered to do a half decent food shop)haha hope you're well xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh this sounds (and looks!) so good! I'm an absolute sucker for anything with butternut squash in, just so good! x

    The Little Things

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I think that's what I'm having tomorrow afternoon :P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!