Thursday, 27 March 2014

That day when I started doing Yoga ...

That year when I started to live a more conscious live ...

It was the year when I started to eat organic food, the year when I started to take more care of my body and learned to listen to what it had to say. In that year, me and my body became friends, not the best friends, just friends.

From that year on, I've always been fascinated with yoga. Why? No idea. But for some reason, yoga seemed fantastic, like another world, like a soothing and blissful world.

*


I've always loved watching yoga pictures. They do something to me. They make me feel good and make me wish more than anything that I was the person in the picture doing those admirable stretching poses.

All this feeling good and wishing and fascination about yoga has never got me to that point to actually do yoga. In all those years ... never. It's crazy.

Instead, I started running. The only reason why I started running - and not practicing yoga - is that I thought that running was more intensive and so it would give me visible results. But now I finally came to realize that I was completely wrong!

*


That day when I started doing yoga ...

This morning I did my first ever 30 minutes of yoga. Starting at the beginning, with the basics, because I really want to do it right and learn how to control my breathing. So I found this series Basic Yoga Workout for Dummies on YouTube and watched and practiced Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.

Oh boy, I never thought that even this basic yoga poses would be so intensive. It all seemed so simple and easy, but finding your balance and holding the pose really asks some perseverance. Apart from that, all this stretching did my body so good. It's so calming and fun at the same time. These 30 minutes of yoga gave me such a warm happy feeling inside and I felt so light and energetic afterwards.

*


From this day on, I'm going to try to practice yoga every day when I'm not running. Usually I run 2-3 times a week. The other days I would like to strengthen my body and keep my muscles flexible with yoga. Maybe one day I will be able to do this ...

*

Woah! Or this ...

*


Also, for some more yoga tips and inspiration, take a look at this site: Popsugar. It's since I discovered this website that I couldn't keep myself any longer from practicing yoga.

I would love to keep you updated on my yoga adventure. And I hope that one day I will be good at it ☺

Do you practice yoga? How does it make you feel?


Love,
Sofie

13 comments:

  1. I've never tried yoga. I'm not sure I would have the patience, but it sounds lovely! xx

    lifeofannas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I really need to make time for it! But I also make time to go running, so I really don't have an excuse not to do yoga, have I? :)

      Delete
  2. I've only recently started doing yoga too, I absolutely love it and I find it so much more enjoyable than other forms of exercise. I would really love to get to the stage of practicing it every day again, but I've just started recovering from an unhealthy relationship with food and obsessively exercising, so I don't want to fall back down that track again! I love doing Tara Stiles yoga workouts and Jillian Michaels yoga is good too if you want something a little bit more intensive!

    It's amazing how good yoga can make you feel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tips, Erin! I hope you're doing well now. I've been driving up my running routine lately and I feel that my shins suffer. So it's time for me to take a step back and I hope that doing yoga would help me to strengthen my body. And yes, I felt amazing after my first yoga practice :)!

      Delete
  3. ah, I just love yoga! I love that it is a practice and not about a competition or being the best at something. I always just feel so comfortable and happy with the whole yoga situation. It's beautiful, really :)
    Wear It Better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the whole yoga spirit. It's a practice you only do for yourself, to feel good inside. I love that about yoga :)

      Delete
  4. I've done yoga before and I love it! A yoga studio is about to open like two minutes away from my house soon and I am so excited! It's so relaxing and so good for your body! Haha I can't get enough of it.

    xx
    Kendra | It's a Bug's Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's wonderful, a yoga studio so close to your house! I hope to learn it by watching YouTube videos, haha.

      Delete
  5. Great post hun:))
    Love your blog,followed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very inspiring! It's always so refreshing to see your posts Sofie and I wish you the best of luck with your yoga journey (haha, that sounds a bit intense!) and do make a follow-up post on this , it'd be awesome to hear about your progress - yoga is always so unpredictable. Some people love it from the beginning, others not so much haha

    Hayfa
    www.londonloafers.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Hayfa! Haha, I think that 'yoga journey' is quite a good description after all :) I'll try to keep you updated! I already enjoy doing yoga, so that's a good thing :) x

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a great step! I tried really hard to get into yoga last spring, but it just wasn't for me. I'm not flexible at all, and my flexibility limited me so much that I found myself in tears on the mat on more than a few occasions. I'd love to try again someday!

    XOXO
    Becca | Ladyface Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love yoga too! I totally agree that it makes you feel fantastic. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!