Thursday, 8 May 2014

One day juice cleanse ~ My experience and thoughts



Today, I did my first juice detox ever. I've been wanting to do this for such a long time, but there was always something that was holding me back: not the right time, no juice in the house, justifying myself to other people ... Postponing, for ever and always.

But then this week the perfect moment was there. Since I don't have school this week and I'm staying at home, I told myself to give it a go, this time for real.

Because I'm a major food - healthy food - lover, I was highly convinced that I wouldn't manage 3 days (= short cleanse cycle) without solid foods. In the morning, I always get up with a growling bear in my stomach. I need to be fed ... or I'll get really moody! So I thought I'd be kind to myself and do a cleanse for only one single day. I'm so brave!



The day before

Before I tell you about the actual cleanse, I must say that when you are planning on doing a juice cleanse, it's best to eat light a few days before and cut out the bad (alcohol, caffeine, sugar, dairy, meat, processed foods). Since I already try to avoid these products as much as possible, I just ate soup for dinner the evening before my cleanse.

Actual cleanse day

So I bought these two organic juices: organic apple beetroot juice (amzing!) and organic carrot juice (wasn't that great, too high expectations). I know, I know, I didn't make my own juices. The reason: I don't have a juicer (only a blender for smoothies) and it would be a big effort ... and I'm too lazy.

Of course, this morning - like every morning - I was awake at 6:18. Noooo, why, WHY?! And when I'm awake, I can't sleep anymore, so I jumped out of bed. An early morning means a long day means a long time without solid food. But, I was ready!

Ignoring the growling bear in my stomach, I grabbed a glass of water to flush out all the nightly formed toxins and waste. And of course I was thrilled to try out my juices so I also poured myself a glass of apple beetroot juice. Delicious!

Besides the juices, I also drank lots of water. Cleanse, cleanse, cleanse. The hardest part of the day was lunchtime and dinner. Everyday I'm always looking forward to what I'm going to eat. Yes, most of the time my thoughts are with food. The fact that there would only be juice on the menu, was a little disheartening. But I kept strong, cooked dinner for my family (that smell!) and drank courageously my juices.

The whole morning I was very hungry but that feeling slowly faded during the afternoon. And now, at this given moment, at 8:10 pm, I'm getting hungry again. Surprisingly, I didn't feel flabby during the day but I did have a slight pressure above my eyes and I was a little tired.

The day after

Oh, I'm so looking forward to tomorrow! Just like the days before your cleanse, it's best to slowly build up your diet again. Start with fruits and vegetables, then nuts and grains, then meat and fish. So tomorrow, for breakfast, there is still one avocado waiting for me (YEEEEEEEEEEES!!) and a banana, and some leftover juice (haha). I'm so going to enjoy this!!



And now, I just made myself a large cup of green tea and I'm going to bed early. To be honest, I'm not sure if I would do another cleanse in the future. Therefore I like food too much, good food of course. And because I'm trying to eat as healthy as possible (just because I like healthy food the most), I don't think it's worth the "suffer". But if I do, I would definitely make sure that I have a lot more different juices in the fridge. Only 2 juices, it gets really boring!

Have you ever done a juice cleanse? What are your experiences?


Love,
Sofie

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting experience :) xx

    http://www.aimeroseblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was! I'm glad I tried! x

      Delete
  2. i really want to try a juice but just like you im such an eater i think i would struggle for 3 days!

    This Girl Loves Chic 

    Facebook : ThisGirlLovesChic 


    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes me too! I usually live from meal to meal. Healthy food makes me really happy! :)

      Delete
  3. You make me very curious
    I will try, seems to be a healthy experience
    Have a nice day doll


    http://www.alisagromova.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very curious too and I'm so glad I did it. If you ever have the chance, I surely recommend you to give it a try, even if it's just for one day like me. I definitely learned something from this experience! x

      Delete
  4. isn't it funny how much we worry about justifying our detox reasons? i've never actually done one - but each time i think about it all the explaining i'll have to do stops me. but this post is a pretty good reason to actually start :) love your silly photos with the double drinks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having to justify myself to others was definitely the biggest thing that was holding me back from doing a detox. Most people think we do it for losing weight. And I hate it when people judge me for the fact that I love eating healthy and taking care of my body. But oh well, I just ignored all of it this time :) Yay!
      Thank you for the compliment, Jennifer :)

      Delete
  5. I think this post is one of my favourites ever. I've been wanting to do a juice cleanse for a long time now, but I never manage to make time for it. However, this post inspired me and now I'm determined to do it next weekend. P.S. I am excited :D
    Even if you might now realize it, you are super courageous for doing this cleanse taking into account you love food so much. Congrats dear xx

    I'm no longer blogging on Little Library of Dreams, but on Pink-Mint Pijama http://pinkmintpijama.blogspot.ro/ and a follow would mean a lot, of course if you want to.

    Keep up with the detox and rest a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very very much, Otilia!
      Your comment has made me so happy! So lovely to read that I've inspired you to do a cleanse. I'm very curious about your experience! Good luck and thanks again! x

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing! I did a juice cleanse for 3 days... I felt like I had more energy, but I definitely had intermittent headaches as well. Now I just eat clean and incorporate the occasional juice in my everyday diet :)

    xo, Bekka
    Palm and Peachtree, A Fashion and Lifestyle Blog
    Instagram | Facebook | Bloglovin


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that one day I have the courage to do a cleanse for 3 days like you. Well done!
      But after this one day cleanse, I must say that I fell even more in love with juices and I my water intake has increased :)

      Delete
  7. Oeh the apple beetrootjuice sounds delicious! What did you eat for dinner? I've done a 30 days sugarchallenge, was a bit though. Especially given the fact that Almost every product contains some sort of sugar.

    Xx https://winwonderland.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was 'only juice'-day. So no solid foods or hot meals, nothing but juices.
      I know, these days almost any industrial food contains sugar. It's sad really. Very proud that you've done that 30 days sugarchallenge. Must have given you a different view on food. Well done you! x

      Delete
  8. Oh gosh I don't think I could do this! Well done you, though :)
    I've been on a liquid diet for a day or so in the past in preparation for medical procedures and it was not fun! I ate soup and drank yoghurt drinks mostly but it really made me sad not being able to eat properly.
    Naomi xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine that it must be horrible to be on a liquid diet for a medical procedure. But I did this cleanse because I really wanted to, to purify my body from the inside. Even though it's quite hard (I mustn't lie), it feels good knowing that your are helping your body to get rid of all the waste :)

      Delete
  9. I'm thinking about doing a juice cleanse sometime next month but for a little bit longer than one day. my body definitely needs a good detox :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you already done one before? I would really love to know how it went! I'd love to do the cleanse for a few more days as well in the future, now that I've experienced how it feels. x

      Delete

Thank you for your lovely comment!